Amp up the Autumn vibes and get cozy with this canna infused walnut + brown sugar cream cake.
Brown sugar is the most humble of sweeteners, but it’s the magic behind our favorites, like chocolate chip cookies, and THIS CAKE.
By using brown sugar, you get a caramel-like note, and the moistness that contributes to this cloud-soft crumb. When paired the crunch of walnut, it’s pure comfort on your plate. The canna cream is a bonus, to take this cake from comfort – to celebration. You don’t need an occasion to make this cake though. Just celebrate comfort, and cannabliss!
Pictured here, we’ve built this recipe into a 4 layer cake.
If you don’t want the fuss, you can bake the cake batter in a 9×13 pan like a sheet cake. When it cools, simply slather the cream on top and decorate as you wish. Cut and serve, straight from thep an.
Walnut + Brown Sugar Canna Cream Cake
If you want to build a layer cake, use 4 cake pans (7”)
For a sheet cake, use a rectangular cake pan (9”x13”)
Ingredients needed for the cakes:
1 ¾ cup cake flour (15oz)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup milk
6 egg yolks
8 egg whites
2 Tbsp white sugar
- Line the bottoms of your round cake pans with parchment paper. (No need to line if using the one rectangular pan.)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Sift together the flour and the baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl or the stand mixer, make a meringue: pour in the 8 egg whites and whisk on high until foamy. Slowly add in the 2 Tbsp of sugar. Continue whisking until you get stiff peaks. Transfer the meringue into a clean bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer (no need to wash it) pour in the egg yolks and sugar. Whisk until it is thick and creamy. Slowly stream in the oil and the milk. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl. Whisk until all is smooth and incorporated.
- Spoon ⅓ of the meringue into the egg yolk batter and fold in gently with the spatula.
- Fold in the flour mixture until all the dry bits have been incorporated.
- Gently fold in the remaining meringue, being gentle and careful to keep as much air as possible in the batter.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Spread a thin layer onto the bottoms of the 4 cake pans, trying to keep all four layers even with each other. If using the rectangular cake pan, simply spread it evenly into the pan.
- Bake for about 15 mins for the layer cakes, or 30 minutes for the single large rectangular cake. It will be ready with the top springs back from the touch.
- Remove from oven and let it cool completely before unmolding.
Serve with whipped cream and pomegranate seeds.
Canna Whipped Cream Recipe
A stand mixer with whisk attachment
2 cups of canna cream
½ cup powdered sugar
- Whisk all the ingredients together until the cream has thickened to the consistency you desire.
Don’t overwhip as it will get chunky. Keep it smooth by aiming for soft peaks.
After the cake has been assembled, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.