Show your sweetie some TLC with a little added THC!
This chocolate heart cake can be made with a single round cake pan, and no special equipment. It is low on effort but big on returns!
If you’re short on time and heart-shaping is too involved, serve it as a simple round cake – or just eat it straight out of the pan. Any presentation takes second place to this cake’s delicious flavor.
The soft decadent cake is so rich and moist and oh-so-memorable. Although perfect for Valentine’s Day, it can be a centerpiece for any celebration!
Chocolate Cake Valentine’s Day Edible Recipe:
- 1 Round 9” Springform Cake Pan
- 2 Bowls
- 1 Small pot
- Parchment paper
- 1 ½ sticks (175g) butter/Cannabutter (see note)
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cups Granulated Sugar
- ¾ cups Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
Note: 1.5 sticks of Cannabutter will make for a very powerful edible. Adjust the potency of this dessert by moving the ratio of regular butter to cannabutter. For instance, use a half-stick of cannabutter and one stick of regular butter for a less potent cake.
- Line the bottom of your cake pan with parchment paper. This ensures a smooth easy release after baking.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- In the pot, melt together the cannabutter and milk. Once the butter is melted completely, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and sour cream. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt. Set aside.
- Slowly whisk the sour cream/egg mixture into the pot with the milk/butter. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly pour ⅓ of the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Whisk and repeat. After all the wet has been incorporated into the dry, the cake batter should be smooth and loose, not stiff.
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared cake pan, using the spatula to scrape every drop into the pan!
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes. It will be done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely to room temperature before removing from the pan.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Sieve/sifter
- A stand mixer with paddle attachment, or
- A large spatula
- 2 8oz packages of Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick (113g) butter (or Cannabutter) room temperature
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl to remove any lumps.
- Paddle in (or use the spatula to smooth together) the butter with the sugar, until light.
- Mix in the cream cheese and fold until all is silky smooth.
Building the Cake
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the cake pan.
- Release the springform pan’s buckle and remove the cake. It should be room temperature now.
- With a bread knife, gently slice the cake in half to make two cake layers. You can do this by holding the knife horizontally, and place your free hand on the top of the cake to steady it.
- Once you have two separate layers, keep them stacked and follow the guidelines below to make the heart shape:
- Fill the cake with ⅓ of your cream cheese frosting. Smooth it evenly with a knife or small metal spatula.
- Place the second layer of cake on top.
- Spread and smooth another ⅓ of your cream cheese frosting over the top.
- Use the last ⅓ or the frosting to cover the sides. (Or eat it with your cake scraps!)
- Decorate your cake with sprinkles or candy, and enjoy!
This cake keeps well for 2 days at room temperature when covered. For longer term storage, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge.