Pumpkin season is here! All the spices making everything nice…
Whoopie pies are the casual cousins of cupcakes. Whereas cupcakes are dainty, whoopie pies are more rough and tumble. They don’t require any special cupcake baking pan, or liners. This doesn’t mean that they don’t deliver in satisfaction though. Nice pillowy pumpkin canna-cakes sandwich a thick cream cheese filling.
What’s not to love?
This recipe is simple to make and can be made in advance, so you can have a steady supply of fall-flavored treats this season, ready to pair with your coffee or hot chocolate!
1 sheet pan
Stand Mixer or whisk
Ingredients needed for the cakes:
1 can (15oz) pumpkin
1 ½ cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, rm temperature
2 Tablespoons dark molasses
3 cups All-Purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
- Line the sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In the bowl or the stand mixer (or using a bowl and whisk), mix together the pumpkin, sugar, eggs, oil, and molasses.
- Add in the dry ingredients. Mix until well incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into dollops on the prepared sheet pan, leaving 2 inches inbetween each dollop. Depending on the size of your dollops, you will most like need to bake in 3 batches.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tops of the cakes spring back from your touch.
- Let them cool completely to room temperature before you add the filling.
Cream Cheese Filling
A stand mixer with whisk attachment
1 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ a block of cream cheese (4oz), at room temperature
1 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Use a small offset spatula, or a butter knife, to spread a thick layer on the bottoms of the cooled whoopie pie cakes. Cover with another cake to make a sandwich.
Alternatively, you could ice the top of the whoopie pie cake and leave it as a single layer, as pictured above.
These keep well for 3 days at room temperature when covered. For longer term storage, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge.