The Fall baking season is the perfect time to bake edibles, and it isn’t Autumn without pumpkin pie!
Pumpkins are native to North America, and every single state in the USA produces pumpkins. In this small way, we are united! Illinois alone produced 564 million pounds in 2020, and most of those ended up in pies. Here, we celebrate and are thankful for pumpkin in its classic pie format, but with an extra step to take the pie to new fluffy heights.
Beating the egg whites into airy soft peaks add height, while the crust is the vessel for your cannabutter. If you want to use a store-bought pie crust to save time, you can still add a dose of cannabis to this pie in by using infused milk. Choose one or the other, but not both, in order to control your dosage.
Get ready to celebrate the fall harvest in the most edible way.
Ingredients For the Crust:
- 1 stick Cannabutter ,cold and cut into cubes
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Throw in the cubed butter.
- Cut the butter in, using a fork or a pastry cutter. You want the butter to be broken into small bits, and the mixture should look grainy.
- Add in the egg and use your hands to incorporate.
- Knead the dough until it holds together. Don’t overwork it. Just make sure there are no dry bits.
- Flatten the dough into a disk.
- Place the dough in-between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out into circle, about a ¼’ thick. It should be large enough to line your pie pan or springform pan.
- Move the dough onto a tray and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
While that is chilling, you can make the pumpkin filling, and preheat your oven to 425°F.
Ingredients For the Filling:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 can of pumpkin
- 1 cup of milk (or cannamilk if you’re using store bought pie crust)
- 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white, stiffly beaten
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar, spices, and salt.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree.
- Add milk. Keep mixing until homogenous.
- Beat in the eggs and egg yolk.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg white. Try to maintain as much air as possible.
- Pour into the chilled pastry shell. Smooth out the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
Best enjoyed with lots of whipped cream!