A classic pound cake recipe consists of 4 equal parts of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. The formula is so simple that the French call it tot fait, or “soon made” because it is quick to pull these basic ingredients together into a dessert.
Pound cake is dessert’s equivalent of a blank sketchbook full of thick creamy pages. It’s luxurious on its own, but ready to serve as the foundation to any of your wild dessert ideas you want to sketch out. With pound cake, you can have it by itself, or jazz it up with any number of toppings. You can slice it and grill it, or use it as toast. You can layer it between puddings and mousses. The dessert opportunities are endless, and having a solid pound cake recipe on hand is as useful as knowing how to make eggs for breakfast. Even better, you can make cake for breakfast!
For this pound cake recipe, we have added a little extra lemon zest to brighten it, and some extra egg yolks and sour cream for a richer cake. If you want to keep it simple, serve it with nothing more than a dusting of powdered sugar. If you want to intensify dessert experience, pair it with lemon cream and garnish with lemon zest. Fancy!
Lemon Cream Pound Cake Recipe:
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
For the Lemon Pound Cake
- 9” x 5” loaf pan (or any shape you want to experiment with)
- parchment paper
- 2 bowls
- 1 whisk
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Stick + 2 Tablespoons Butter/Cannabutter at room temperature (see note)
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs + 2 yolks, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 ½ cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
Note: Adjust the potency of this dessert by moving the ratio of regular butter to cannabutter. For instance, use a half-stick of cannabutter and a half-stick of regular butter for a less potent cake. If you are using cannabutter for the lemon cream, you might want to use regular butter for the cake, or vice versa.
- Preheat oven to 370°F.
- Line your pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, rub the lemon zest into the sugar until evenly distributed and no clumps of zest remain.
- Cream together zested sugar, salt and butter until it is light in color and fluffy.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in the sour cream and lemon juice.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter/egg mixture.
Mix together until well-blended, but not overdone.
- Spread the batter in an even layer into your baking dish.
- Place the cake in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back from the touch. If your baking pan results in small individual cakes, like cupcakes, reduce the cooking time and check back on it in 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Serve with lemon cream AND whipped cream. Recipe for lemon cream below.
This cake will keep well in an airtight container for 3 days, or covered in the fridge for a week.
For the Lemon Cream
- 1 small pot
- 1 sieve
- 2 bowls
- 1 whisk
- 1 spatula
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- ⅓ cup Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 Eggs + 1 Yolk
- ¾ cup Lemon Juice (about 3-4 lemons)
- 1 Stick Butter/Cannabutter well chilled and cut into small cubes.
Note: Adjust the potency of this dessert by moving the ratio of regular butter to cannabutter. For instance, use a half-stick of cannabutter and a half-stick of regular butter for a less potent cream. If you are using cannabutter for the lemon cream, you might want to use regular butter for the cake, or vice versa.
- Place the sieve over a bowl and place the spatula close by. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together vigorously the eggs, yolk, sugar, and salt.
- In the small pot, heat the lemon juice over medium heat, until you see a little steam appearing.
- Pour the hot lemon juice over the egg mixture while whisking constantly.
- Place the pot back on the stove and pour the mixture back into the pot.
- Over medium heat, whisk quickly and constantly until the mixture thickens.
- When it is a smooth custard consistency, immediately pour into the sieve, over the bowl.
- Use the whisk the push the custard through the sieve. This strains out any overcooked bits of egg white, and ensures you will have a super smooth cream.
- Place plastic wrap directly over on the surface of the lemon cream and let it cool in the fridge completely.
This cream can be used to top biscuits, scones, and cookies. So delicious on top of pound cake! It can even be used to fill a tart or pie.