Icebox cake is America’s version of tiramisu. It is a dessert that requires no baking and is made of cookies layered in-between cream. The original recipe is as easy as going to the store and grabbing a box of cookies and a tub of Cool-Whip. Throw the two together in any shape you like, even simply layering them into a bowl, then let it sit in the fridge overnight. The cream softens the cookies into thin ribbons of cake, and you get a dessert that is the delicious result of electric refrigeration and commercially-made cookies. Convenience at its finest, and an American classic!
Of course, there are fancy versions, with homemade cookies and gourmet whipped creams. The format is adaptable to any variation a chef could dream up. This post contains the icebox cake’s best adaptation yet: The Cannabis Chocolate Icebox Cake.
If you love creamy desserts that you can dig into, and minimal effort with wow results, this is going to be the best application for your canna-cream! For this recipe, you’ll need a total of 2 cups of chilled cream. Check out our tutorial on how to to make your own canna-cream here.
Cannabis Chocolate Ice Box Cake:
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: Overnight
Yield: 6 servings
- A flat plate or platter, at least 8″ in diameter
- 1 bowl
- 1 whisk, or electric mixer
- 2 Cups canna-cream, well chilled
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Package of chocolate cookies
You can use any type of cookie you prefer. Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers is the classic. The cake pictured here was made with 1 package of Whole Foods Brownie Thins. However, you can use Oreos or any cookie that you love. You can also double the cream and cookies to make a larger cake.
- Cocoa powder for dusting (optional)
Note: Adjust the potency of this dessert by moving the ratio of regular cream to canna-cream. For instance, use one cup of canna-cream and one cup of regular cream for a less potent cake.
- In the bowl, using whisk or electric mixer, whip your canna-cream with the sugar until firm peaks form.
- Spread a thin layer of cream in a 7″ circle on your platter/plate.
- Add a layer of cookies evenly over the circle of cream.
- Spread another layer of cream over the cookies, about 1/4″ thick.
- Add a layer of cookies over the cream.
- Repeat this process until all cookies are used.
- Sift cocoa powder over the top, or sprinkle with crushed cookies.
- Chill overnight in the fridge.
- Serve it well-chilled.