It’s hard to feel bad when you’re staring at the business end of a golden-brown grilled cheese sandwich cut on the diagonal. You can infuse a grilled cheese in at least two ways, with your cannabutter and with homemade canna-cheese.
Serve with tomato soup for some warmth from the heart that’s also guaranteed to keep your head in the clouds. And read on to see just how many ways you can make this sandwich—because grilled cheese is just the beginning.
The Basic Recipe
This is the basic version. But wait until you start to think about all the things you can make with your Spirorecipe.
- 2 slices good white sandwich bread like Pullman or hotel bread
- At least 3 tablespoons cannabutter
- 2 ounces thinly-sliced or shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 thin slices), or use your canna-cheese, either alone or with regular cheese, yum
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the bread on a cutting board. Coat each slice with cannabutter on one side to ensure your bread is crispy, golden-brown, and crunchy. You can also use infused mayonnaise or canna-mayo.
2. Heat one tablespoon of cannabutter over medium heat in a medium-sized skillet—nonstick works best. Once the cannabutter melts, place 1 slice of bread, coated side down, in the pan. Top with cheese. Season to taste with pepper. Cover with second slice of bread, butter side up. Cover skillet with lid. This is important—it’s what melts your cheese and ensures it’s gooey.
3. After about 4 minutes, add remaining cannabutter to the skillet and turn the sandwich carefully when underside is golden brown. Gently press the sandwich to encourage melting and even browning, but do not press hard. Cover again and cook until cheese is melted and second side is golden brown.
All the Grilled Sandwiches
Grilled cheese is amazing, but it’s just the beginning. Start infusing and grilling ALL the sandwiches. We did. Here are some ideas:
- Grilled smoky cheddar with bacon and tomato
- Grilled cheddar and gochujang flavored canna-cheese with kimchi, Serrano chiles, and sesames
- Grilled mozzarella with basil canna-cheese, fresh tomatoes, and Balsamic glaze
- Grilled cheddar with fresh garlic, jalapenos, tomato chutney, and cilantro
- Grilled Swiss with herbed canna-cheese, avocado, arugula, and green goddess dressing (yes, you can also infuse that)
- Grilled brie or mozzarella with plain or herbed canna-cheese, sliced pears, and fig jam
- Grilled everything seasoned canna-cheese with sliced tomato, red onions, capers, and lox
- Grilled muenster and canna-cheese with caraway or curry seasoning, fresh ginger, Persian cucumbers, and raita (or just plain Greek yogurt with a little salt and garlic)
- A classic “bacon butty” infused (make this by cooking back bacon in cannabutter and serving on toast or crusty bread with more cannabutter and sherry)
- Grilled Swiss with diced artichoke hearts, shredded spinach, and pickled hot peppers—and maybe a canna-cheese layer, too
- Grilled sweet canna-cheese with jam
- Grilled mozzarella and cheddar with infused pesto and tomatoes
I guess what we’re saying is, there are a million ways to do this, and all of them are easy, creative, and delicious. You can make it your way, and that will work out great!
Final Thoughts on Infused Grilled Sandwiches
It’s so easy to eat your cannabis and get your comfort food on the same plate, and it doesn’t take all that much effort with a little bit of planning. If all these people on social can make freakin’ sourdough, we can all have an infused sandwich!