Whether you like yours veggie or with meat, you’ll love a pot pie with actual pot in it. And it’s easy to do, because anytime you make pastry, you have a buttery opportunity to infuse what you’re eating with cannabis.
Bonus: add infused EVOO to the gravy, too, if you want. Particularly if you’re a fan of garlic and rosemary, you’re not likely to taste it.
How To Make Pot Pies
You will need:
4 – 8 ounce ramekins
For the crust:
- 1 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons ice cold cannabutter, diced
- 4 tablespoons ice cold unsalted butter, diced
- cold water
- sea salt, to taste
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons infused EVOO
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 and ½ cups stock, vegetable or chicken
- Optional: 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken or roasted turkey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. In a food processor pulse the flour, cannabutter, butter, and ½ teaspoon sea salt until the butter is in pea-sized lumps and mostly combined. Pulse in 3 tablespoons of the water. Add one more tablespoon of water only if the dough remains crumbly.
If you don’t have a food processor, mix the flour, cannabutter, butter, and salt with a pastry cutter or your fingertips until the butter retains some pea-sized lumps but is mostly combined. Stir in water with a fork, as directed above.
2. Shape the dough into a ball, flatten the ball into a disk, and cover the disk in plastic wrap. Chill the pastry for 1 hour or longer.
3. Roll the chilled dough with a floured rolling pin on a floured work surface into a 10-inch round. Cut 4 3-inch rounds from the dough with a round cutter. Chill the rounds just until you will use them.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
5. In a large, heavy pan, heat the infused EVOO oil over medium high heat until hot. Stir in the shallot, garlic, and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
6. Stir in the flour. Cook about 2 minutes, until flour is incorporated.
7. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add the chicken or turkey if you’re using it. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Divide the filling between the ramekins. Cover the ramekins with the pastry rounds and brush the rounds with the egg mixture. Cut a vent in each round for steam.
9. Bake the actual pot pies 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling.
No one can resist these classic pot pies, especially when they’re actually enriched with cannabis. Enjoy!